Friday, August 7, 2015

Some Forty-Years Ago


Some forty years ago when abortion first became legal, I obtained one. I had no choice. I was unmarried, poor, from an abusive home, highly dysfunction - an undiagnosed manic depressive in fact - and terrified. There isn't a day goes by that I don't think about that child. I have carried this personal sorrow in my heart all these years, and speak from experience when I say that no woman has an abortion lightly. Accordingly, I will be goddamned if some Bible-thumping, influence-peddling political parasite or corrupt government agency will tell me what it means to have an abortion now.

My Pagan belief system teaches me that souls select their path and parents before incarnation. They enter the body at the time of birth. This is my faith.

One of the central planks of pro-life's objections to abortion is that life, soul residence, begins at conception and exists even in the smallest cell. I say, what the bloody difference does it make? You can't have it both ways. Either the soul is immortal or it is not. If immortal then abortion can't change or destroy the soul.

As I said, not a day goes by that I don't think about that child. I wonder about the soul that chose me. I wonder if I have known them in this life; if I will meet them before I die; or if I shall see them in the next.












No comments:

Post a Comment