Friday, February 27, 2015

The Misleading Media



This is the kind of garbage the media needs to be called out for propagating.  PoliticusUSA is a Liberal Sheet; yet, posts such misleading nonsense as, "57% Of Republicans Say Dismantle Constitution And Make Christianity National Religion".  You dig into the damned poll they are referencing and your find that it is based upon the opinions of 316 Republicans all of which are Rightwing, primary voters.  By Politicus' own admission, "The poll’s crosstabs reveal that support for making Christianity the official religion is strongest among Mike Huckabee (94 percent), Rick Perry (83 percent), and Ben Carson (78 percent) supporters."

While we continue to lament the toxic ramification of the deep partisan division in this country, here to my way of thinking is part of the root of the poisonous tree.  I don't believe that this 316 people comes anywhere near to representing the opinions of a majority of the Republican Party. It is my understanding that the moderate and establishment Republicans hate these guys - not to mention Conservative Independents. You understand that this is just the educated view of a damned well informed citizen.  I can imagine the effect this might have on some who are not as well informed or able to follow politics as closely as I do. 

As I said this poll represents the opinions of 316 members of the so called base of the Republican Party. These are the crazies that the media has built up into legions. It is crap. It sells publications and boosts cable ratings, but has no relationship to the truth. While partisan members of the media might justify this stupidity as stirring up their own base, in my opinion it has had the opposite effect.  It has in fact plunged millions into a sense of hopelessness and lethargy bordering on despondence that has kept them away from the polls.

For the record, I have been a registered voter in the state of Colorado since November 12, 1971. I have never been called for a national poll. I don't know anybody who has ever been called. I don't know anybody who knows anybody who has ever been called.

My husband is a math guy. He gets statistics. I hate math and detested stats. I hid in the library reading Shakespeare until Regis made me take a class in statistics to graduate. Brad says that they can be made to show anything depending upon the agenda and objectives of the people using them. Damned if it isn't the truth.

The beginning of this duplicity for hire in the most recent postmodern era is with Reagan and his plausible deniability through disinformation. Post 2008 when Mr. Obama came into office having committed the sin of being black in the eyes of these Rightwing loons, the whole agenda has swollen like a cancer on the American people. I believe that post 2016 when the historians take over, and I don't mean that insect O'Reilly, we are in for a rude awakening as we find out just how badly we have been played for the benefit of corporations and corrupt politicians.

57% Of Republicans Say Dismantle Constitution And Make Christianity National ReligionHowever, for the time being, to quote Fox Mulder in the last episode of the X-files, "Liars do not fear the truth if there are enough liars."  Give that some thought.

No comments:

Post a Comment